Wednesday 27 February 2013

Where to start?

That's a good question!

I've been considering starting a blog for some time now to do with my love of all things METAL!
Not the element, but the music that has been somewhat of an obsession for over thirty years.
So here goes...

My earliest memories of listening to the heavier side of music from my youth is Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and the likes, later discovering AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Accept and so on.

Shortly after came the inevitable with Metallica (my all time favourite band) hitting my radar and I became a Thrash Metal fan in my early teens shortly after the release of "Kill 'em All".

With this brought Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Forbidden, Death Angel, Dark Angel and Sacred Reich to name but a few from The USA and, of course, European greats such as Kreator, Destruction, Sodom and Celtic Frost.

Before I get accused of forgetting The UK bands...
Venom, Anihilated, Acid Reign, ReAnimator, the list is seemingly endless (time).
(A little pun there for the old Death Angel fans out there!)

Of course, Venom labelled themselves as Black Metal and claim to have started the genre.
I will not argue with this claim!

In true addict style, I love Black Metal too.

In between all this there is, of course, the Hardcore / Punk side of music. Bands such as Agnostic Front, DRI, Adrenaline OD and Circle Jerks. Again, the list goes on.

But how many genres of Metal is there?
Here's a Wikipedia Link for reference!

Whilst I stated at the start this blog was about my love of all things METAL, some of the genres, I have to admit, I'm still not getting.
That's not to say I don't like them, I just don't get them!
I've seen a lot of different types of METAL live and, whilst the band can play, they're tight, they're loud and shouty, sometimes I just don't get it.
I try, but I don't!
I'm sorry if I offend some of the younger generation.
Maybe it's an age thing now...


Well, that's a little bit of history out the way.

Let's get with the times and get up to date...

A few years ago my partner, Tracy, bought me a Creative Vado Pocket Camera. I don't know why, but she did.

I decided to take it along to see some bands play in the seaside resort of Sheerness-On-Sea and asked some of the bands if they'd mind me taking a few vidz of them they were all really keen.

This surprised me. Especially when I was asked if I'd be 'putting them up on You Tube'.
"You what?" I asked, having never heard of it and only recently hearing of this thing called 'My Space' and 'Facebook', as far as I'm aware, was in its infancy and no-one in the UK was using it!

So I did some research into whatever the Hell they were talking about and thought to myself, "Far out, Man!"
I set up an account and decided on the user name of colintylermetal, which I think sums me up nicely!

After a couple of years, and seeing what fun I was having, Tracy bought me another Vado. This time it was HD+. Amazing quality (for an amateur) and perfect for my needs.

I hope you enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy attending the gigs, recording them and uploading them.

Feel free to share them on whatever social network you use.
I ask only a few things in return:
1) Give me credit for it!
2) Give the bands credit.
3) Support the bands. Especially the Underground Scene by going to local gigs, buying their CD's, T-Shirts and other available merchandise.

And so to the future of this blog...

It is my intention to continue to attend gigs and do what I'm known for locally and further afield, but I'm also looking at reviewing albums and EP's when they are released or when I pick them up at a gig, reviewing gigs, promoting independent radio and gig promoters and keeping the true spirit of METAL alive.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this. I'll try to keep future posts (or are they blogs?) shorter, but if there's a lot to say about something METAL related... I'm gonna say it!

No comments:

Post a Comment